ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES



Copyright 2001-2007 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THE   BROOKLYN   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD
THE   LONG     ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD
and    ATLANTIC   AVENUE


FLATBUSH   AVENUE   LCL
(LESS - THAN - CARLOAD - LOT)   FREIGHT   FACILITY


THE   MERCHANDISE   TERMINAL


FROM ANNUAL REPORT DECEMBER 31, 1908






THE CONNECTION WITH THE B.R.T. EL SHOWN ON THIS PLAN WAS NEVER RE-INSTALLED.






THIS ELEVATED STRUCTURE TO THE MERCHANDISE TERMINAL LASTED UNTIL 1937.   AFTER REMOVAL ARMOUR'S UNLOADING FACILITY WAS MOVED SOUTH AND EAST AND THEIR BRIDGE OVER ATLANTIC AVENUE WAS LENGTHENED.


ARMOUR'S UNLOADING FACILITY - THE MERCHANDISE TERMINAL IN THE DISTANCE.






THIS STRETCH OF STEEL COLUMNS FROM THE 1899 EL STRUCTURE REMAINED UNTIL THE EARLY 1980'S.
THE MERCHANDISE TERMINAL WAS CLOSED OFF AT THE SOUTHEAST END AND LEASED
TO J. RABINOWITZ & SONS,   INC.,   DEALERS IN GLASS CONTAINERS.
THAT IS THE WORLD TRADE CENTER IN THE LEFT BACKGROUND.


RABINOWITZ   ALSO   OWNED   PARAMOUNT   POULTRY


PERHAPS   THEY   OFFERED   "PHEASANT   UNDER   GLASS"



LOOKING   SOUTHEAST   TOWARD   THE   CLOSED   OFF   ENTRANCE.




LOOKING   NORTHWEST   TOWARD   HANSON   PLACE.




AT   THE   FAR   LEFT   WERE   TWO   STAIRCASES.




THE   LEFT   STAIRWAY   LED   DOWN   TO   THE   OFFICES   IN   THE   PASSENGER   STATION   AND   DOWN
TO   THE   STREET   LEVEL   FREIGHT   TERMINAL   -   THE   RIGHT   ONE   LED   OUT   TO   THE   ROOF.











GO TO - - - - > MERCHANDISE TERMINAL PART TWO

RETURN TO - - - - > 1907 PASSENGER STATION EXTERIOR

Return to ----> 1907 PASSENGER STATION INTERIOR

GO TO - - - - > 1907 PASSENGER STATION CONCOURSE

GO TO - - - - > LONG ISLAND EXPRESS COMPANY OFFICE

Go to ----> BEDFORD TO EAST NEW YORK 1877 - 1902

Go to - - - - >MEAT HOUSES

Go to - - - - > CARLTON/VANDERBILT AVENUE YARDS

RETURN TO HOME PAGE